These stunning gallery walls are going to inspire you to create beautiful wall decor for your space.
What is a Gallery Wall?
A gallery wall is a curated display of artwork, photographs, and other decorative items hung on a wall in a visually pleasing arrangement. It is a popular way to showcase a collection of pieces that hold personal meaning or aesthetic appeal. Gallery walls typically feature a mix of framed artwork, photographs, prints, posters, and sometimes other decorative objects like mirrors, clocks, or wall decals. The arrangement can be symmetrical or asymmetrical, depending on the desired look. Gallery walls provide an opportunity to express your personal style, create a focal point in a room, and add visual interest to your space.
Types of Gallery Walls
There are several different types of gallery walls that you can create, depending on your style preferences and the overall aesthetic you want to achieve. Here are a few examples:
- Symmetrical Gallery Wall: This type of gallery wall features a balanced arrangement with frames or artwork that are evenly spaced and aligned. It creates a clean and organized look, suitable for a more formal or traditional setting. You can use frames of the same size and shape for a cohesive appearance.
- Eclectic Gallery Wall: An eclectic gallery wall is characterized by a mix of different frame styles, sizes, and artwork types. It’s a more relaxed and creative approach, allowing you to experiment with various elements, colors, and textures. This type of gallery wall often showcases a diverse collection of artwork and objects.
- Grid Gallery Wall: A grid gallery wall is composed of frames or artwork arranged in a precise grid pattern. The frames are usually uniform in size and shape, creating a structured and organized display. This style works well for a modern and minimalist aesthetic.
- Salon-style Gallery Wall: Inspired by the hanging style of art salons, this type of gallery wall is characterized by a dense arrangement of artwork covering the entire wall. Frames of varying sizes and shapes are clustered together, overlapping each other to create a visually rich and eclectic display. It’s a great option for showcasing a large collection of smaller artworks or photographs.
- Themed Gallery Wall: A themed gallery wall revolves around a specific subject or style. It can be based on a particular color scheme, a specific genre of art, or a shared theme like nature, travel, or family. This type of gallery wall allows you to create a cohesive and focused display that tells a story or reflects your interests.
- Minimalist Gallery Wall: A minimalist gallery wall embraces simplicity and clean lines. It typically features a small number of carefully chosen pieces with lots of negative space around them. The focus is on the individual artwork, and the frames are often simple and understated.
Where to Buy Frames for a Gallery Wall
There are various places where you can buy frames for your gallery wall. Here are some options to consider:
- Craft and art supply stores: Stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Joanns often carry a wide selection of frames in different sizes, styles, and finishes. They offer both affordable options and higher-end frames. Keep an eye out for sales and coupons to get the best deals.
- Home decor and department stores: Retailers like IKEA, Target, Walmart, and HomeGoods often have a range of frames available at different price points. You can find a variety of styles, from basic to more decorative options. These stores are especially useful for finding budget-friendly frames.
- Online retailers: There are numerous online retailers that offer a wide selection of frames. Websites such as Amazon, Wayfair, Overstock, and Etsy have a vast range of frames to choose from, including different sizes, materials, and styles. Read reviews and check the measurements carefully before making a purchase.
- Thrift stores and secondhand shops: Thrift stores, consignment shops, and flea markets can be treasure troves for finding unique and affordable frames. While the selection may vary, you can often discover vintage frames with character that add a distinctive touch to your gallery wall.
- Garage sales and estate sales: Keep an eye out for local garage sales or estate sales in your area. These can be excellent opportunities to find frames at significantly discounted prices. Negotiating prices is often possible at these types of sales.
- Online marketplaces: Online marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay can be a source for both new and used frames. You can often find good deals, particularly if you’re willing to search and be patient.
- Frame sales and discounts: Keep an eye out for frame sales and discounts at various retailers. Many stores have periodic promotions or clearance sections where you can find frames at reduced prices. Sign up for newsletters or follow these stores on social media to stay updated on any special offers.
These ideas are meant to inspire you, but feel free to adapt and customize them to your personal style and preferences. Mix and match different ideas or come up with a completely unique concept that reflects your personality and makes your gallery wall truly one-of-a-kind.